The Bishop of St Albans’ Harvest Appeal 2016
This year we are supporting WaterAid and bringing clean, safe water to rural communities in Madagascar.
For some in these rural situations, it is particularly dire – fewer than 1 in 5 families have access to safe water, and fewer than 1 in 10 have access to toilets. Without a safe water supply people often suffer diarrhoeal disease and, sadly, it is not unusual for a child to die.
A supply of clean, safe water will bring a transformed life, more crops can be grown for the family and some sold to bring an income, and children, relieved from the arduous daily task of collecting water, can attend school, gain a good education, as so discover new opportunities for their future.
Mailpacks containing publicity materials will be distributed to our churches and schools in early July.
Thank you in anticipation of your support for ‘Life-giving Water’ – please note:
- Churches and Schools – please send your cheque for the total of all donations, including any Gift Aid reclaimed, made payable to St Albans DBF , to The Bishop’s Harvest Appeal 2016, Holywell Lodge, 41 Holywell Hill, St Albans AL1 1HE, or
- As an individual, you can give on-line here – click on the ‘Harvest’ droplet to continue:
The launch of Life-giving Water
… took place in May and June this year and included 3 events in which all our Bishops participated:
- Bishop Alan met guests at The Waffle House, St Albans, which houses a working watermill from 16th century,
- Bishop Richard led an assembly at Holywell Middle School and, with the pupils there participated in a challenge on the World Record attempt for a ‘pupil pipeline’,
- Bishop Michael hosted a themed coffee morning at The Hailey Centre (over 55’s) in Sawbridge, which included their clients icing cakes and enjoying vanilla flavoured deserts as we focused on the country of Madagascar.
Enjoy these photos:
Please visit our Harvest Appeal Resources page for further ideas and thing to help you promote this valuable Appeal.