The DAC is a statutory body whose functions are set out in ecclesiastical legislation. Its role is to advise the Chancellor, Archdeacons and parishes on proposals for works to church buildings and churchyards and church furnishings, and to advise more generally on the care and development of churches. In line with statutory provision and the priorities of Living God’s Love, the Committee has regard to churches as local centres of worship and mission, in which
- people can encounter God and be drawn into a worshipping community
- parishes can reach out in mission
- local communities can be transformed.
The DAC can help by:
- Providing parishes with the advice they need as they consider how their parish church could be made to serve worshippers and community more effectively. DAC members have wide experience and expertise and their advice is available free of charge.
- Working through consultation visits when initial ideas arising from parish Mission Action Plans can be discussed on site
- Encouraging parishes to celebrate and build on recent experience and good practice by suggesting examples to visit
- Sharing good practice and new developments with parishes through regular newsletters and occasional training