Grants for roof alarms
Many lead and copper roofs have been stolen from churches across the diocese in the last few years. Parishes have faced bills up to hundreds of thousands of pounds to cover the cost of replacement and making good all the damage. Only a roof alarm combined with SmartWater will give you full insurance cover.
Archdeacons have been flagging up the importance of protecting metal church roofs and promoting roof alarms to parishes.
Our Information note:
- Highlights the theft of metal roofs as the number one security threat to churches
- Explains which metal roofs should be protected by roof alarms and marking – to deter theft and give full insurance cover for external metal
- Explains which metal roofs and external metalwork can be covered by marking alone
- Gives important background information – on theft, alarms and their cost, insurance cover and general security
- Describes the grants which can cover much or all of the cost of installing a roof alarm
Grants currently available:
The Beds and Herts Historic Churches Trust typically offers grants of £1,000 subject to funds.
The Allchurches Trust offers grants up to £2,500 or 50% of the cost subject to the circumstances of the church. (These grants may be offered through the Beds and Herts Historic Churches Trust from January 2020 – check the BHHCT website then for details.)
The Diocesan Board of Finance offers grants to churches prioritised because of their circumstances.
You can reclaim the VAT on at least the cost of installation from the Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme if your church is listed.
Advice from Historic England on metal theft from historic buildings is found here.