Board for Mission and Ministry
The Board was established by Synod in September 2017 to take effect from January 2018.
The Board’s task, set by Synod, is to support and enable Mission Action Planning in parishes to further the Diocese’s vision. The Board will:
Help grow faith and discipleship across all age groups by:
- Making recommendations to the Bishop’s Council on the development of a strategy for Ordained and Lay ministry, including encouraging vocations, education, training and review, and facilitating the implementation of any strategy approved by the Council.
- Providing training and resources to improve the quality of worship, including working with, and overseeing the work of the Diocesan Liturgical Committee.
- Encouraging pilgrimage and times away that change lives.
- Promoting stewardship.
Grow the number of people from all age groups becoming Christians by:
- Making recommendations to the Bishop’s Council on the development of strategies for work with children and young people, and facilitating the implementation of any strategies approved by the Council.
- Providing opportunities and resources for developing nurture courses and reaching out to those unconnected to the church.
- Developing and supporting pioneer ministry and fresh expressions of church.
Grow service that enriches and renews our local, national and international communities by:
- Helping parishes engage in social action that addresses local needs.
- Confronting injustice through education and advocacy.
- Providing resources and support to help protect the vulnerable and the environment.
The Board oversees the work of two teams:
The Ministry and Vocations Development Team, led by the Director of Ministry
The Mission Team, led by the Director of Mission
The Board’s Membership shall consist of:
- A Chairman appointed by the Bishop;
- Ex-officio – A Suffragan Bishop if not the Chairman;
- Ex-officio – one Archdeacon if not the Chairman;
- Six members elected by the Diocesan Synod, three of whom are clergy and three laity with at least one member from each archdeaconry and at least four of whom are members of Diocesan Synod;
- Up to six members, of whom three are members of Diocesan Synod, appointed for their particular skills by the Bishop’s Council in consultation with the Chairman of the Board.
The Board is to meet at least three times per annum, and six members shall constitute a quorum.
The Board may establish sub-committees in specific areas of the Board’s work, and appoint or co-opt members, provided that at least three members are members of the Board, of whom one will be Chairman, and the members of the Board are in the majority.
Officers and a minute secretary may attend meetings of the Board and its sub-committees as determined by the Chairman of the Board.
The Board will have responsibility for facilitating the Diocese’s vision for Mission and Ministry, within the overall aims of Living God’s Love and its three themes of Going Deeper into God, Making New Disciples and Transforming Communities. In doing so, it will promote the values of generosity and joy, imagination and courage.
Responsibility and Reporting:
Responsibility for policy lies ultimately with the Bishop and Diocesan Synod, generally mediated through the Bishop’s Council. It is the responsibility of the Council to initiate, shape and steer strategies and policies in the light of the overall strategy of the diocese, and to have oversight of the work of the officers reporting to the Board in implementing those strategies and policies. It is the responsibility of the Chair of the Board to communicate with and consult the Bishop on issues of significance and to report regularly to the Bishop’s Council.
The Board of Finance is the financial executive of the Synod responsible for the management of the Synod’s fund and the employment of all persons in receipt of salaries paid from those funds. The Board for Mission and Ministry is responsible for the day-to-day management of its budget, as approved by Synod.
Chairman: 1 (Appointed by the Bishop)
Ex-Officio: 1 Bishop, 1 Archdeacon
Elected from Synod: (6)
Appointed by Bishop’s Council: (6)
Dates of Meetings in 2018:
19th February 2018
18th June 2018
20th September 2018
26th November 2018