Council for Discipleship and Ministry
The Council is committed to
- encouraging the growth of all Christians as disciples
- enabling missional ministry throughout the Diocese
- equipping all God’s people to discern and fulfil their vocation and ministry.
To do this, the Council
- proposes and steers policy and strategy in Christian discipleship, ministry development and learning in the Diocese.
- supports and challenges the officers of its three teams:
Ministry Development, Parish Development and Vocations.
- ensures effective communication with Bishop’s Staff, Diocesan Synod and other Diocesan Boards.
The Council was established as the Board for Christian Development by Resolution of the Synod in 1997, with subsequent amendments in 2000, 2011 and 2012. The Council meets four times a year and also has a small Executive group which meets between full Council to review progress and plan agendas.
Our Two Teams:
The Ministry Development Team: led by the Director of Ministry, the team includes the Officer for Initial Ministerial Education Phase 2, the Reader Ministry Officer, the Self-Supporting Ministry Officers, the Dean of Women’s Ministry and also covers work related to the Diocesan Worship and Liturgy Committee, the Prayer and Spirituality Resourcing Group and Support in your Ministry scheme.
The Vocations Team: led by the Diocesan Director of Ordinands (DDO), the team includes two Associate DDOs, the Vocations Officer, and the archdeaconry Vocations Advisers.
Chairman: The Venerable Jonathan Smith (appointed by the Bishop as Interim Chair)
Ex Officio: The Venerable Jonathan Smith (Bishop’s Staff Link)
Nominated by the Bishop’s Council: The Revd Jenny Fennell (Vice Chair)
Elected: The Reverend Fiona Gibson, Mr Philip Habershon, the Reverend Charles Hudson, Mrs Anthea Lawson, the Reverend Canon David Middlebrook, Canon Christopher Stratton, Mrs Gillian Wheatley – (one vacancy in the Hertford archdeaconry)
Co-opted: Dr Julie Robb, The Revd Dr B J Zych – (one vacancy)
Team Leaders: The Revd Canon Dr Tim Bull (Ministry Development Team); The Revd Dr Quentin Chandler (Diocesan Director of Ordinands)
Dates of Meetings in 2017:
Thursday 12 October
The CfDM Executive Committee also meets four times a year.