The Diocesan Registry is the legal office supporting the Bishop of St Albans and legal aspects of the work of the diocese.
The Registry is responsible for:
- processing Petitions for Faculties;
- giving free advice to parish officers, clergy, boards and committees of the Diocese;
- issuing the documentation to enable burial grounds to be consecrated;
- issuing marriage licences;
- dealing with applications for reservation of gravespaces
The Registry has issued guidance on the following subjects:
- New Guidance from the Deputy Registrars on the upcoming reforms to Marriage Registration
- Guidance from the national church (Faculty Office) about post-Brexit arrangements for marriages involving EEA and Swiss nationals
- Marriage Preliminaries
- The Churchyard Regulations 2004 – each Diocese has its own Regulations. For information regarding burials, cremated remains and memorials.
- Grave Reservation Guidance
- Grave Reservation Form
- Private Faculty for Memorial in churchyard
- Garden of Remembrance plot reservation form
- Telecomms guidance
The General Register Office have issued a publication titled Guidebook for The Clergy which gives guidance on Clergy responsibilities regarding the regulations and certification requirements for marriages, baptisms and burials.
Diocesan Deputy Registrars
Diocesan Deputy Registrars: Owen Carew-Jones and Jon Baldwin
Registry Clerk: Anne-Marie Organ
Address: St Albans Diocesan Registry, Winckworth Sherwood LLP, Minerva House, 5 Montague Close, London SE1 9BB (DX: 156810 London Bridge 6)
Telephone: 020 7593 5015