- This event has passed.
Young People and Loss
17th May @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Training day led by Youthscape, with training delivered by Will Taylor (Formally Loss UK)
Statistics tell us:
Aapproximately 1 in 25 children and young people have experienced the bereavement of a parent or sibling.
Half of couples (49%) divorcing in England and Wales in 2011 had at least one child aged under 16 living in the family.
Children affected by family breakdown are:
75% more likely to fail at school
70% more likely to become addicted to drug
50% more likely to have alcohol abuse problems
40% more likely to have serious debt problems.
When we start to consider the losses that young people can go through we discover that it is, for them, a broader experience than we first believe. Every significant change a young person experiences brings with it a loss and this can be positive or negative. It’s how we respond to that loss that matters. Many people can feel overwhelmed by issues of loss and are unsure of how to effectively support the children and young people with whom they work with. These early experiences shape how we process loss later in life.
This interactive day will include:
- Developing an understanding of experiences of loss
- Exploring bereavement theory and apply this to the experience of young people
- Interactive exploration of a young person and their family
- A look at the language we use
- What is our response and what are the young persons needs
- How do I handle self-disclosure and understand my own experiences
This is one of the Youthscape ‘Equipping Days’. Price per day £50 (buy two, get one half price)