Mothers’ Union in St Albans Diocese
Mothers’ Union in the Diocese of St. Albans (Reg. charity no. 249814)
TRANSFORMATION – NOW!
Mothers’ Union is a Christian organisation working through grassroots membership of over 4 million in 84 countries. Our Aim and Purpose is to demonstrate the Christian faith by supporting families and communities across the world through projects, prayer, policy change and fellowship.
Membership is open to anyone, male or female, single, married or divorced provided they have been baptised as a Christian and support our aims. Anyone who has not been baptised but supports our aims can become a Friend
In St Albans Diocese
- Provide local women’s refuges with start-up packs of kitchen and bedding items for families who move out to set up a new home; activity and away days; Advent calendars, Easter eggs and activity bags for the children.
- Help families under stress through our Away From It All holidays.
- Help run a local Contact Centre allowing divorced/separated parents the opportunity to meet their children in a safe environment.
- Give Christmas cards for distribution in local prisons.
- Provide dementia units and residential homes with twiddle cuffs and memory books.
- Support local hospitals through X-ray, neonatal and children’s departments with baby items, washbags, soft toys and activity packs.
- Support central MU campaigns and projects particularly the 16 days of activism against gender-based violence and the campaign to abolish modern day slavery.
- Are consulted by the government when drafting family legislation.
Internationally the funds we raise help to support:
- Programmes enabling community transformation, promoting gender equality and improving livelihoods and health.
- Parenting, literacy and development programmes, savings and credit schemes enabling income generation using local resources and skills.
- Workshops on peace and reconciliation; women’s empowerment; disaster risk reduction.
- MU representation on the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women which works to overcome women’s inequality.
Throughout all our work, prayer sustains and strengthens. A Wave of Prayer goes around the world as members pray at midday wherever they are for the people and work of Mothers’ Union and for international issues.
To find out more about us and how you might become involved please go to St Albans Diocese MU website www.mothersunion.org/diocese/st-albans