Ampthill, St Andrew version: 2
Ampthill with Millbrook and Steppingley
Ampthill and Shefford
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- St Andrew's is now known in the town as a welcoming church. This has been achieved by the Welcome team being more aware of newcomers and those needing help in church. Monthly Soup Lunches, Posh Coffee/Afternoon Teas and other events mean people regularly come for social events and feel happier about coming into the building.
- We have tried to maintain contact with those who come to church for Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals. We now hold a service for All Souls' Day each year, with personal invitations going to all those who have had funeral services taken by St Andrew's ministers over the previous two years. This has been a great success with many attending and finding comfort and support. From this year we are also holding a service to celebrate Baptism with personal invitations going out to those who have had Baptisms at St Andrew's.
- Children's activity sessions have become a regular part of our worship and mission. They are happy events, well attended and enjoyed by all participants.
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- Coffee mornings with discussion groups were not successful - participants were not sure about leading discussions or running coffee mornings.
- Follow-up contact from Weddings was difficult to organise - those getting married in church often do not live in the town, so contact was difficult.
Things seen about our local community
- Large number of new houses, but people don't come to church.
- We need to make more effort to bring in people of all ages.
- Ampthill and the surrounding areas appear to be affluent communities, but there are areas of social deprivation and need.
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- We now deliver cards at Christmas and Easter to as many houses as possible in Ampthill. These have details of church services and activities as well as greetings. Up to date Welcome leaflets are available in church.
- We hold children's activity sessions, special services for All Souls' Day, Celebrating Baptism and other special services. We have an increased number of social events encouraging people to come into church.
- We now operate a Food Bank which supports local families.
Vision (for five years' time)
We wish to be a welcoming community, sustained by prayer and worship, which supports each other and reaches out in Christian love to the local community.Current Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
a decline in attendance at regular Sunday services, but an increase in attendance at special services and an increase in the number of Weddings and Baptisms being held in church.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- To seek to strengthen our core community by going deeper into God's love.
- To seek to enrich the local community by our Christian love and actions.
- To reach out to and draw in those on the periphery of the church and beyond.
Goals (for the next year)
- Encourage spiritual development by holding a Pilgrim course.
- Make a welcoming space for private prayer within the church.
- Increase environmental awareness in our community: encourage re-cycling with green sacks and food waste bins, possbly link with local wildlife groups to enhance the churchyard with bat/bird boxes and wild flowers.
- Continue to improve and extend the welcome in our church including the use of social media to reach out to a wider, as yet possibly less committed, Christian community.
- Extend outreach to older children by providing drop-in space and occasional special activities.