Aston, St Mary version: 4
The Beane Valley Benefice
Hertford and Ware
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- We are being more visible in our community through seasonal displays outside the church and good use of our church websites. Aston news and school contacts to publicise services and events.
- We use the church for events and link them to special services e.g Flower and Christmas Tree Festivals.
- We serve our community through occasional offices, garden of remembrance, links with the school and Food Bank. Work with Friends of St Mary to carry out quinquennial repairs and regular maintenance is ongoing. e,g via church yard clearing and church tidy events.
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- Developing social media is ongoing.
- Working to keep the church open during the day is ongoing. We feel that the church needs to be open for a reason e.g service or a social event. We are unable to run a pastoral visiting team but parish visiting happens informally.
Things seen about our local community
- The parish is socially interactive but there is much competition for peoples' time on Sunday.
- The parish is close to Stevenage with a primary school linked to the church.
- People turn to the church for annual and life events, e.g. Weddings, Christmas, Baptisms and Funerals.
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- We are looking at our publicity and communication so as to be more visible and build on existing contacts.
- Lists of 10 in the monthly Parish News seek to promote understanding of Christian faith and life in accessible bite sized pieces.
- We offer regular confirmation courses, marriage and baptism preparation and weekly worship in school.
Vision (for five years' time)
We would like to be a prayerful and spirit-led welcoming church, serving the parish and beyond,nurturing the faith of the congregation,newcomers and schools.Current Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
We have had a good number of baptisms and weddings over the last 12 months.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- Deepening our life of prayer, worship and service
- Improve publicity to make church more accessible and welcoming to all.
- Priority - open church for prayer and community events.
Goals (for the next year)
- Provide resources for prayer in church and investigate a votive candle stand.
- Continue to reach out to our community through seasonal displays outside the church, occasional offices and invitations to special services and events. e.g Christmas Tree Festival.
- Continue work on opening the church.
- Continue to develop social media.
- Investigate development of the tower room as a church and community resource.