Bedford, St Martin version: 2
Bedford, St Martin
Bedford, St Martin
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- Outreach to homeless through lunchtime open church providing light refreshments (soup and hot drinks)
- Pastoral ministry to 12 care homes in the parish
- Outreach to 3 schools in the parish
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- Not applicable - in effect, this is our first plan
Things seen about our local community
- New residential development currently under construction on Warwick Avenue
- Homelessness is still an issue in the parish
- Schools in the parish are very well attended - a need for a place for parents to gather
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- Research into residential construction and development of fliers
- Rethinking church open time to maximise outreach to socially isolated groups
- Contacting head teachers of schools in the parish and plans put in place to engage actively with pupils and church e.g "Open the Book"
Vision (for five years' time)
A) Spiritually strong and outreaching B) Will have established: study groups/Bible study groups - daytime or evening; "Messy Church"; and more cultural and social events C) Will be continuing our mission to care homes, schools and businesses; ensure the church is open to create a sacred space accessible to all; and will have enhanced our Tuesday afternoon missionCurrent Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
A need to care for the elderly and very young to encourage more young people and children to become part of the church
Priorities (for the next five years)
- Resolve structural problems and develop more flexible facilities
- Attract more families and young children
- Develop spirituality in the Congregation
Goals (for the next year)
- By the end of 2017, resolve the problem with the north side of the building
- By the end of 2017, the whole parish will have received a leaflet from the pastoral workers and within 3 months of its completion, all new homes in the Warwick Avenue development will have received a leaflet
- By the end of 2017, we will have improved our welcome through access to training courses and created an updated website
- By the end of 2017, we will have reorganised Tuesday afternoons to create social activities attracting a wider section of the public
- By the end of 2018, we will have organised 3 special services and events, aimed at reaching a wider congregation