Bushey Heath, St Peter version: 5
Bushey Heath, St Peter
Bushey Heath, St Peter
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- The effective application of a more formal catechetical element to the Family Service has led to a stronger and more coherent faith community. It has also brought added interest and encouragement to the leadership team.
- The re-introduction of Stations of the Cross has been a success.
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- Progress developing 'Open Church' has been slower than hoped and needs further creative thinking. Resistance from key members of the congregation has been a significant factor.
- The sending of Baptism anniversary cards has been less effective than hoped partly because of the number of families moving away from the parish or just coming 'home' for the baptism.
Things seen about our local community
- The parish is dominated by those of other faiths and none and Anglicans are very much in a minority.
- Bushey Heath has a mobile population and is constantly changing with few people rooted in the community.
- There is a need to remain confident and to proclaim the faith clearly and appropriately.
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- We are focussing on 'belonging' and 'fellowship in the Gospel' with our core worshippers in order to be a more attractive and welcoming community.
- We are developing good relationships with those of other faiths through the Bushey Inter-Faith Forum. A new and positive relationship has developed with the local synagogue leading to significant support in times of crisis and engagement with international issues. A positive relationship has also developed with the newly established Jain community.
- We are making use of new opportunities to engage with the community, and especially with those recently arrived from eastern Europe, through the revitalised Mother and Toddler Group.
Vision (for five years' time)
A Christian church which has a renewed confidence in the Apostolic faith and which has re-engaged with the community as a parish church in new and appropriate ways, offering a variety of worship and support to those in need, and welcoming new worshippers.Current Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
We have remained stable numerically and are holding our own financially, although the situation remains fluid. The reduction in the number of occasional offices reflects the multi-faith nature of the parish.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- To consolidate growth at the Family Service and to prepare younger worshippers for confirmation.
- To share our corporate life with those in need, especially those who are lonely and isolated.
- To communicate effectively with the parish through the use of social media as well as more traditional means.
Goals (for the next year)
- To maintain effective contact with the recently baptised through the sending of anniversary cards and targeted advertising.
- To continue our commitment to the healing ministry and to continue with the Prayer Line, expanding the advertising as appropriate.
- To continue to improve our electronic and other communications.
- To increase opportunities for Eucharistic adoration.
- To engage more frequently and effectively with neighbouring parishes to encourage improvement in worship and for mutual support and partnership in the Gospel.