Elstree, St Nicholas version: 2
Elstree and Borehamwood
Elstree and Borehamwood Team Ministry
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- 1. The reordering of the West End of the Church to provide a more welcoming, comfortable and useful space has been completed.
Welcoming, modern space completed.
Which Living God's Love theme do you think it represents?
Making New Disciples
- 2. Our young organists are flourishing in their musical giftings, to the extent that one is now an organ scholar.
- 3. The congregation sits at the front of church!
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- Messy Mass has been difficult to sustain due to a lack of volunteers available during the day.
Things seen about our local community
- St Nicholas Church has good relationships with voluntary organisations, care homes, and schools within the community, and is appreciated by the wider community.
- Elstree has become increasingly diverse with a significant Jewish community and a growing number of people from non-British ethnic backgrounds. It has become religiously diverse, too.
- Many Elstree working-age people work long hours in London and pay large mortgages, so they are both time poor and cash poor. Some elderly people are very isolated.
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- We nurture relationships with local organisations, schools and care homes through informal friendships, regular visiting and offering appropriate pastoral and discipleship support.
- Our Sunday evening services aim to reach a wide spectrum of people from different backgrounds and offer gentle introductions to worship, prayer and Bible study.
- The growing use of social media and the St Nicholas website help people to stay in touch with church, and God, throughout the working week.
Vision (for five years' time)
We would like to be a friendly, outward-looking and growing church where all people are welcome, a place of support for Christians and the wider community, and a place where we can experience inspirational worship to help us live the Christian life.Current Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are a small and steadily committed congregation.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- To reach out to different groups of people within the community, from the youngest to the oldest.
- To provide a broad but coherent range of worship and discipleship opportunities, befitting a church which is the only place of Christian worship in Elstree.
- To raise funds and ensure that we have sufficient volunteers in order for the mission and ministry of the church to flourish.
Goals (for the next year)
- To start up a monthly coffee morning in the autumn of 2017.
- To establish Messy Mass as a monthly service, run with due regard for safeguarding requirements.
- To open the Beacon area to local groups for gatherings and events.
- To develop our Sunday evening services and events with the aim of providing ‘something for everyone.’
- To establish a pastoral visiting group.