Great Wymondley, St Mary the Virgin version: 2
St Ippolyts with Great and Little Wymondley
Previous MAP adopted by PCC
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
Things seen about our local community
- A small friendly community of 61 houses. Rural and yet only 2 miles from large towns of Hitchin and Stevenage.
- We can see there is a growing willingness and enthusiasm from the parishioners to help each other and to feel they belong, ie. there is a good community spirit.
- Village was galvanized as a result of the huge fund raising appeal for the repairs to the church tower (which began 5/6 years ago) when the church had to be closed for a while for safety reasons. As a result of the success in fundraising and repairs done, there is a new self-belief that we could achieve anything we choose to.
Three things we have seen about our church
- It is a welcoming, beautiful church building, always open and often visited.
- We have a variety of special services throughout the year.
- We are a growing church, in number and spirit, seen as a warm, inclusive and cohesive and very welcoming Christian community.
Vision (for five years' time)
To be the church with a big heart at the centre of our small community, sharing God's love with all.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- To focus on the right replacement for our Vicar to help us continue our development.
- To build on our 50% growth of the past 3 years to retain and build further our church members, both in number and spiritual journey.
- Build facilities to enable wider use of the church building, ie. not just for worship. (4.) Increasing our willingness to give to the needs of the wider world. (5.) To maintain our church building as our lasting legacy for future generations.
Goals (for the next year)
- To broaden our communication base, embracing social media as well as traditional methods, to reach the whole community.
- Develop our spiritual teaching within our services and win the wider community.
- Develop the Friends of St Mary's to be a key contributor to our success.
- Continue our good stewardship of care of the church building.
- Increase our inclusiveness within the worship and social activities.