Henlow, St Mary version: 5
Henlow and Langford
Ampthill and Shefford
Previous MAP adopted by PCC
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
Things seen about our local community
- Broad age range and social mix in the village. The village is growing rapidly with extensive new building.
- Church schools, plenty of employment and commuters.
- Lots of clubs and good community spirit.
Three things we have seen about our church
- Mostly elderly & families with young children. A larger number of children at special services such as Christingle. Schools now visiting the church more frequently.
- Middle class, variety of worship, very welcoming, with teaching groups. Coffee mornings are a great success.
- We are now seeing previously missing age groups (30-50 year olds) and different ethnicities.
Vision (for five years' time)
St Mary's continues to be a welcoming, friendly church, which provides a range of services expressing sincere and uplifting worship for a broader age range.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- Reaching out to show people what the church is about.
- Getting more children and young parents involved.
- Services for those who use the church to mark special events in their lives, but don't attend regularly.
Goals (for the next year)
- To open the church at least three mornings a week, making it available for all who wish to spend time there.
- To develop the Junior Dolphin group - the group, for young people of all ages, currently meets every Tuesday evening from 6-7pm. Members of the group sat in the choir stalls on the first Sunday of February, having been taught one of the hymns on Tuesday.
- To continue the development of ecumenical links by supporting the Methodist Church in their half-termly 'Wacky Wednesday' children's activity session. We will provide support in the planning stages, and practical help for each session.
- To hold evensong on the second Sunday of each month.
- To ensure that the fabric of our church provides an adequate resource for the community. This will involve fund-raising to support our ongoing plan of repair and maintenance within the church.