Luton, St Mary version: 2
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- 1.To develop our Welcome and Connecting: Started real coffee after services, launched churchsuite to enable us to connect to people; updated website; begun more regular socials
- Inspiring Worship. We have more intentionally differentiated our Sunday services to reflect our demographic, changed their times. The 9am service is far more popular than the 8am was; We launched a Sunday evening cafe style church in January 2017. We relaunched Soul Space our Wednesday service in September 2015 which has doubled in numbers. We employed a part time Children’s and Family Worker; We employed a Students / 20s worker (6 hours per week).
- Holistic Mission. To develop at least one St Mary’s missional ministry that is beyond youth & children’s ministry. We launched the Centre for Peace and Reconciliation
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- Supervision and appraisal is partly implemented;
- We employed a part-time Worship Curator (4 hours per week) who left to go to Theological College;
Things seen about our local community
- Deprived; International; Presence and Engagement: Deprived area with resulting issues; Increasingly international: : 132 languages are spoken here; the town is 55% non-British ethnic origin (first town outside of London to be majority non-white) Presence & Engagement parish because 23% of the population consists of faiths other than Christianity. Muslims form 12% of the population. As of Sept 2017; Growing problems of families being put up in hotels with possible opportunities for ministry arising.
- Work and movers: Lutonians average take home < average wage of workers in Luton; additionally as 20s turn to 30s key people move out for work / schooling; The Mall and The University are in the parish.
- Doubling of the population of the parish possible in the next five to ten years with 5-7500 people moving in; Major development work happening in the future in the parish (Power Court; Vauxhall site); could mean a football stadium very close to the church - with opportunities and threats that causes; Some people are moving from London into the Hightown area near to church. New secondary school will be coming into the parish. Just had a Primary School start
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- Centre of Peace and Reconciliation launched.
- Reorienting our ministries: Student Ministry, Church at 7; potential Fresh Expressions; licencing Luke Larner "ragamuffin pioneer"
- Working across the partnership planning for mission and ministry in the future; engaging with the Powercourt developers
Vision (for five years' time)
Loving God, loving Luton and following Christ. As a church of many nations together in Christ, we hope to be seeking God's kingdom and his presence growing community and the church being a reconciling presence in LutonCurrent Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
bottomed out from a long period of decline
Priorities (for the next five years)
- Our ministries are currently divided into various streams: 1 Governance & Direction Stream; 2. Worship and Holy Spirit Stream; 3. Growing Community Stream; 4. Growing Church Stream; 5. Reconciling People / Mission Stream; 6. Partnership streams; 7. 0-25 Stream; 8. Admin and Operations Stream; 9. Events, Hirings & Civic stream; In parallel there is also 10. Cemetery Stream which though separate impacts the vicar, curate and administrator All of these have their own priorities. In terms of this MAP we will:
- 1. Develop in mission; 2. Grow community; 3. Grow church. We look at this by demographic:
Goals (for the next year)
- Children: Greater focus on WASC and CHIMPS. Possible messy church or similar with partner churches or holiday club? or other midweek groups KS1?
- YOUTH: Continue focus on outreach ministries; new funding streams; new personnel; continue collaboration with youthscape; possible collaborative FX with partner churches;
- STUDENT/20/30s: Increased focus and resource for this demographic; focus on Church @7; increase collaboration with partner churches; possible FX.
- ADULT: Focus on enhancing Welcome and evangelistic initiatives e.g. Alpha; Better communications inc. presence online and signage; focus on community building eg MEns and Womens ministries; development of leaders; consider practical ways to reach out to new people who may be more middle class;postcard to welcome people?
- SENIORS: Build on 9am and Soulspace: Enhanced focus on community building; reorganise our pastoral structures and utilise gifts of people to deliver pastoral care. A second level would be to offer more but not at this stage; pool resources with other churches for seniors? Dementia friendly church?