New Barnet, St James version: 5
New Barnet, St James
New Barnet, St James
Previous MAP adopted by PCC
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
Things seen about our local community
- In 2011, there were approx 1,600 under 20s in parish. We have contact with around 150 (8%) mostly under 10s. Little under 20s contact
- Changes since 2001 census: population growth, declining white British population, shortage of affordable family homes forcing families to move out of area as they grow.
- Growing population of singles who work out of the area, and who stay for a relatively short period of time due to expense of larger housing.
Three things we have seen about our church
- EVANGELISM: Reaching young children continues to be an effective means of attracting, reaching and retaining families.
- MANAGEMENT: A growing church and have had to change the way we do things to achieve this. We recognise that more change is likely to ensure continued growth.
- INVOLVEMENT: Retirement / relocation of a number of key older leaders has reduced the volunteer pool and income stream, whilst unexpected H&S costs and continued growth of Parish Share restricts what we can do.
Vision (for five years' time)
We want to have over 200 adults and children worshipping regularly on a Sunday, and to be well down the road of implementing our 'The Church New Barnet Needs' vision.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- To see people come to faith in Jesus.
- To see existing church members grow in their discipleship.
- To find appropriate and helpful responses to the social needs of the parish.
Goals (for the next year)
- ADULT DISCIPLESHIP: Summer term teaching programme, Develop an adult mentoring scheme, Pastoral care, Establish new leadership teams, Run breakfast events, Run learning events, Run monthly prayer and praise event for vacancy, launch prayer triplet scheme.
- MANAGEMENT: Review activities in light of vision statement, Review all letting arrangements, Explore new model for stewardship, Relaunch website by July 2016, Monitor Youth and Children’s Pastor funding. Support wardens during vacancy. Recruit new vicar
- YOUTH/CHILDREN: Girlz Only - av. 20, Base Camp - av. 15, MSG - av. 12, 2 new families joining through groups, 50% of Yr6 children move to MSG, Usual Sunday attendance for under 16s – to be 20+ despite 2016 departures, 3 unchurched young people come into church groups, new leadership for girls discipleship group, explore messy church, build links with local schools
- OUTREACH: Evangelistic course in Autumn and Spring terms, Involvement in East Barnet Festival, Leaflet new housing, 'Action Sunday' to meet community. Continue community fun days in vacancy
- SOCIAL NEEDS: Participate in HAB shelter, Support food bank, Develop links with Livingstone School, Seek to run CAP course in 2016/7, Be open to ways to help the most vulnerable in the parish, celebrate our work on the new website