Oxhey, St Matthew version: 3
Oxhey, St Matthew
Oxhey, St Matthew
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- Increase the participation of all ages in our worship
Since our last MAP our youngsters have taken an increased role in worship. Before the All-Age service each month, they assist the sidesmen on duty. In addition, they regularly take part in the readings and intercessions rota. Thanks to two very musically gifted members of our congregation we now also have a youth choir. The youth choir sings at alternate All-age services as well as at special services such as Christmas Eve and Mothering Sunday. We have established links with a local adult community choir who sing at special services in church under the leadership of our organist. One of the younger members of our congregation is also using our church organ for his music lessons and practice, and is now utilising these skills by playing in services.
- Build on links with our Parent and Toddler Group
Although we no longer have a Parent and Toddler Group we do have a thriving Messy Church which is run jointly with our local Methodist Church.
- Renewal of Stewardship of talents as well as finance
With our long-serving lay minister and Children’s Lead and her husband (who filled a multitude of other roles) moving away from Watford there were many opportunities and challenges for other members of our congregation to accept. We have been able to expand our number of Sunday School teachers with several new volunteers. In addition we have been able to set up a youth choir as mentioned above and a new Secondary School age Sunday school group. Other new volunteers have come forward to help with serving in services, health and safety roles, setting up and developing the Bookswap and helping with Messy Church. On reflection, we feel our recent Christmas services were a particular success, with a whole new team of people helping with preparing the church and with the services, in addition to the more experienced team members developing their roles.
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- Refurbish our vestry as a welcoming resource including the provision of running water This has been a difficult area to address and it has been challenging to get everyone to agree on a single plan. We also shared our church for a year, with the local Baptist church whilst their own building was undergoing an extensive update. We plan to continue to address this goal however.
Things seen about our local community
- We agree we live in a very virtual world.
- There are very few obvious centres of community locally.
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- We now have a weekly email newsletter, as well as a presence on both Facebook and Twitter. We have begun to look at ways to develop a more modern and user-friendly website.
- We have set up a monthly Bookswap and Craft Club. This is proving to be very successful and is attended by a significant number of local residents who have not had any previous engagement with our church, in addition to also attracting members of our regular congregation.
Vision (for five years' time)
We would like to be described as a community hub nurturing Christian journeys.Current Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
a congregation that is slightly less regular than previously, with less communicants, however those attending have a wider age-range than before. We have noticed that we also have adults with learning difficulties attending regularly.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- Developing lay ministry and improving pastoral care.
- Exploring developing additional non-Eucharistic worship..
- Deciding what we must do to develop the church into the community hub we would like it to become.
Goals (for the next year)
- Consult the congregation and parish about development of the church building (including a review of the internal lighting).
- Develop additional non-Eucharistic worship.
- Reflect on our time sharing our church with the Baptists and what we have learnt from this experience.
- Identify 2 or 3 educational opportunities and proceed with one of them in the coming year.
- Have our new website ready to launch.