Sandy Parish Church, St Swithun version: 2
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- We have made significant connections with the community over the last three years. 30 Community groups join in our Christmas Tree Festival.
- We have run 4 Alpha courses, 2 Boundary courses and started three home groups in the last two years.
- We have seen more families come into the church and Junior Church has gone from 6 children in 2013 to 30 in 2017 with a Contemporary worship service begun monthly in 2014 and weekly in Jan 2018
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- We would like to see more consistency in new attendees but recognise the social pressures upon families.
Things seen about our local community
- There are surprisingly many local people in poverty / need.There are organisations. eg. NEED PROJECT, we can partner with.
- There is a need to be a safe and welcoming place to people of all generations and social groups. Concerts and special occasions have helped with this as well as Sunday services.
- There are many in our parish with whom we have points of contact including families and young people.
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- We partner with the NEED project and have members who sit on the Trustees of Sandy Charities.
- We have started new concerts and opened the church up to more events throughout the year as well as maintain a traditional set of Communion services for those familiar with church.
- We have opened up the church to welcome families and those asking for baptism / christening and the contemporary service has been very well received.
Vision (for five years' time)
We understand Jesus’ Commission to the Church is to Reach, Teach, Mend and Send We wish to be a place where all feel welcome and supported in their faith and life journey Holding onto Jesus’ Great Commandment and Great Commission We desire to experience more of God the Father's love, make more disciples of Jesus and with the Holy Spirit’s help influence our communities for God and for good. Five Year Vision: That people encounter loving acceptance & experience the transforming grace of God at St Swithuns. That people from St Swithuns will be key in helping to run parenting, relationship and debt courses. That children and young people will stay within the church and grow into leaders of their generation. That Sunday traditional Communion service be complimented by ‘Fresh Expressions’ of worship. That the church will grow numerically and in harmony through all age groups and styles of worship. That the church will become financially stable and generous through regular giving and legacies.Current Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
great opportunity and an open door amongst members of our community who look to us in times of joy and sadness, birth, deaths and marriage.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- To go deeper into God - developing 'fresh expressions' of contemporary worship alongside the traditional forms and maintaining our very real sense of unity of purpose and goodwill across all the congregational members.
- Find ways of transforming communities - we will encourage one another to be active in our own circles of influence and personal social networks, to actively seek ways of being salt and light, and discover our personal calling and mission whether that be in local politics, social cohesion, school governors or good neighbours and ethical business people. Involving the local community in social projects such as our annual £20,000 fundraising for Leprosy Mission or Shoeboxes at Christmas.
- Continue to seek to make new disciples - we will continue to run the Alpha course at least twice a year and in between encourage other courses to start up such as Parenting, Boundaries, Marriage or financial help e.g.CAP
Goals (for the next year)
- To start a 'fresh expression' of worship at 11am on Sunday morning.
- To give 600 free copies of Lukes gospel to visitors to our services
- To run an Alpha course Spring and Autumn terms every year and Parenting course and a Marriage course in the summer
- To raise £20,000 for the Leprosy Mission Hospital to pay salaries and improve facilities in India
- To increase numbers at the monthly prayer meeting