Watton at Stone, St Andrew and St Mary version: 7
The Beane Valley Benefice
Hertford and Ware
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
What progress have you made with the Goals from your previous MAP, and what do you want to celebrate?
- We are preparing our first group of children to receive communion. We continue to build links with schools and uniformed groups
- We have refurbished the toilet
- We make good use of our Parish News and websites
What Goals did you set where you saw less progress than you would have liked?
- Stewardship has seen an increase in standing orders and work on this continues
- Work to tackle damp and cold is ongoing and needs o lot of fundraising. The visit from the diocesan heating advisor did not produce any easy solution 3, Developing the parish contact list/newsletter is ongoing 4, Finding volunteers to open the church was on hold during the winter months
Things seen about our local community
- The new houses in the village have enhanced our church membership.
- We have diverse age groups - growing school involvement - but there is often a conflict of timing of church activity with other activities.
- Church at edge of village, up a hill and not centrally situated. It is cold and damp in winter and there is no church hall.
How have you begun to engage with these concerns / needs / issues?
- We offer regular confirmation courses, marriage and baptism preparation and fortnightly assemblies in school.
- Lists of 10 in the monthly Parish News seek to promote understanding of Christian Faith and life accessible in bite size pieces
- Lists of 10 in the monthly Parish News seek to promote understanding of Christian faith and life in accessible 'bite-sized' pieces. We continue to fundraise and apply for grants for grants to maintain our historic church building
Vision (for five years' time)
To share God's love in our community. Confident of God's love and purpose in a rapidly changing world.Current Situation
From our Parish Statistics for Mission, we see that we are / have...
Increased our work with children and our resources for prayer.
Priorities (for the next five years)
- Deepening our life of prayer, worship and service.
- Nurture faith within our congregation.
- To install a drain at the West door to alleviate a damp problem
Goals (for the next year)
- CHILDREN - nurture children through Sunday Club, acolytes and preparing for communion
- .PUBLICITY - use our new facebook page to publicise services and events. Develop a weekly newsletter. Investigate a new notice board
- WORSHIP - build up our 'Pop up choir' and regular choirs. Involve people in intercessions
- CONNECT with village through the book club, quiz, seasonaldisplays and invitations
- RESTORATION - Continue to fundraise to enable church restoration and improvement