Wootton, St Mary the Virgin version: 3
Previous MAP adopted by PCC
This MAP was adopted by PCC
This MAP was uploaded to the website on
Our MAP will be reviewed next
Things seen about our local community
- Population: growth to continue - from 5500 to 8000 by 2018?
- People: predominantly families and retired, socially homogenous, valuing education and achievement, pockets of deprivation.
- Facilities: dispersed provision of community facilities, employment mostly out of parish.
Three things we have seen about our church
- Operates as a community energized by faith.
- Values: the Bible, prayer, partnership, evangelism, service.
- Could be better at facing the cost of change and growth.
Vision (for five years' time)
St Mary’s 2016-2020 will be: One body of wholehearted worshipping disciples, ever more deeply rooted in the Bible & prayer, growing together in holiness and every-member ministry to become a family of: loving welcome, caring for one another with the love of Jesus Christ passionate proclamation, committed to reaching the people of Wootton, Stewartby and beyond, with the vital good news of Jesus Christ for a lost world glad service, dedicated to being salt and light for Jesus Christ in the world global heart, BOTH prayerfully and practically engaged in the worldwide mission of the church, AND training and sending men and women into gospel ministry within and beyond the parish sacrificial change, giving generously of ourselves, our money, and our talents to realise this vision
Priorities (for the next five years)
Goals (for the next year)
- Praying Goal: better corporate prayer life including – prayer service and growth groups.
- Going Goal: better evangelism to adults including special events – Queen’s 90th, autumn weekend, summer 2017 mission – and better regular outreach to adults, especially younger men.
- Equipping Goal: better disciple-makers including – evangelism training through growth groups; more regular training of Growth Group & Children's/Young People's leaders; occasional ‘ministry intensive’ programmes (like Knowing God, Growing Leaders).
- Teenaging Goal: better outreach & discipling of teenagers including – appointment of part-time youth and children’s worker.
- While also developing: Gathering Goal: services (including messy church), midweek groups and young people’s groups and activities which more effectively make and grow disciples Including – residentials and engagement with external conventions etc. Partnering Goal: supporting and strengthening mission locally and worldwide.