Resources and courses
If you are wondering where God is calling you, the most important thing to do is to pray. You may like to use some of the prayers in this Prayer booklet.
Courses and conferences, directed at specific kinds of ministry, are also organised. For example:
Seeking the Way, a course for laypeople seeking to know better how and where to serve God and his Church. For the 2019 brochure please click here and read testimonials from previous Seeking The Way delegates here, or watch a video on our Facebook page. The course will next happen in the Autumn of 2019 on Saturdays 10.00am to 4.00pm on 05 and 19 October and 09 November at St Augustine’s Church Hall, Icknield Way, Limbury, Luton, LU3 2JR.
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions, but if you have any other queries please speak to Charles Burch, Diocesan Vocations Officer Email Charles. Read about what someone who has been on the course thought about it. Ash is at the end of his second year of ordination training.
Life as a Franciscan Sister or Brother… could this be for me..?
a day to explore Franciscan community life in the Church of England
Date: Saturday 26th October 2019: 10am – 4pm
- Franciscan sisters and brothers share their stories of God’s call and their life in community
- DVDs on St Francis and Franciscans today to help us reflect, with opportunities for discussion
- time for your questions
- Lunch, tea/coffee etc provided
Central London venue: The Community of St Francis, St Alphege Clergy House, Pocock Street, London SE1 0BJ
Booking essential (by 19th October please)
To book: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7928 7121 with your name and contact details.
“The world is my cloister” – St Francis of Assisi
There are various small groups around the diocese who meet in homes to study GOLD Open Learning courses (Group-based Open Learning Discipleship). For more information go to www.goldproject.org. New fortnightly courses start in September 2019. ‘Discover Christian Living part 2’ (the letters of Paul) with a tutor group in Maulden, Beds and ‘Encounter Jesus and the Kingdom part 2’ (the Gospel of Luke & Acts) with a tutor group in Colney Heath, St Albans. For more details please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
BELIEF Bedford has courses running; see their current courses here.
BELIEF Bedford was set up in 2006 by a group of Christians in and around Bedford who wanted to create opportunities for high quality, accessible Christian education in this area
For information on the wide range of ministerial opportunities in the Church of England, click here
- The Church Pastoral Aid Society runs weekend courses for people considering ordination. Each weekend provides opportunities for participants to listen to how God is leading them, hear Bible teaching, gather information, ask questions, talk in confidence with impartial advisers and share fellowship with others who are considering their call. The next weekend is in May 2017. More details are available here.
- The Church Army has a ‘First Contact’ project inviting people to spend a year with them
- Take the opportunity to explore the possibility of ordained ministry at a local or National Vocation Conference: See events listed on the ‘call waiting’ website: Call Waiting website
- The Eastern Region Ministry Course can be found here.