Welcome to the Schools Pages
Living God’s Love is the vision of the parishes, church schools and chaplaincies across Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Luton and Barnet. This vision is grounded in the love of God and love of neighbour flowing from God’s love for us. Its three priorities are:
- going deeper into God
- transforming communities
- making new disciples
The Diocesan Board of Education works to see church schools at the heart of the Diocese’s mission.
The Vision of the DBE
In January 2019, the Board of Education introduced its revised vision for education: ‘Living God’s Love in Education: Enabling Life in all its Fullness’.
Underpinned by the National Church of England vision for education and our diocesan vision, the Board of Education will ‘Live God’s Love in Education’ through creative and innovative partnerships with local, regional and national partners. In ‘Enabling Life in all its fullness’, the Board will work alongside those providing statutory services to schools, delivering advice and support in a distinctively Christian manner which enables all to flourish.
Across the next three years, 2022-2024, the Board will:
- Work to ensure that a minimum of 90% of schools are deemed to be good or excellent church schools (as defined by SIAMS)
- Support the development of Christian pedagogical approaches to teaching and learning
- Deliver diocesan-wide initiatives which promote a shared understanding of Living God’s Love through community, worship and prayer
- Extend and develop work to promote the wellbeing of the whole school community
- Promote and facilitate outstanding leadership and governance which supports excellence in church schools
- Develop Church of England provision across the Diocese of St Albans
The Schools Team liaises with the 138 Anglican church schools in the Diocese of St Albans, covering six Local Authorities: Bedford Borough, Central Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Luton, the London Borough of Barnet and Buckinghamshire. 32 schools are academies. Most of the schools are primary phase, but there are 6 secondary schools and 3 middle schools which are deemed secondary.
Find out about more about church schools here : What is a church school?
The Diocesan Board of Education
The Board of Education of the Diocese of St Albans exists to provide support and advice to church schools throughout the Diocese.
The Schools Team is governed by the Diocesan Board of Education. This is a statutory body established under the Diocesan Boards of Education Measure 2021, with functions including the promotion of education consistent with the faith and practice of the Church of England, the promotion of religious education and religious worship in schools and academies, the promotion of church schools and academies in the Diocese, and advice to school governors on any matter affecting church schools and academies.