Governors play a vitally important role in our schools, contributing to school effectiveness, management and, if a foundation governor, maintaining the Christian ethos of the school. Through its ‘Umbrella Trust’, the Diocese also provides members, directors and governors for the diocese’s free schools and academies. If you feel you have the necessary skills and experience to fulfil one of these roles, please contact Vicki Barrière on 01727 818170 or email email@example.com.
We are very grateful for the support given to our schools by their governors.
Foundation Governor Appointments
Please find below a guidance document and the current application form for the appointment of Foundation Governors:
- Foundation Governor appointment process guidance
- Maintained schools: Diocese of St Albans VA/VC Foundation Governor Application Form
- Academies: please contact the Schools Team on 01727 818170 or firstname.lastname@example.org to talk about appointing your governors.
You will find in these documents information on diocesan policy and advice on a number of Governance topics.
You will find on these pages details of training we run for governors.
- Church school governors – Recommended reading list here
- Academy Governance: How to run an Academy School – Katie Paxton-Doggett, ICSA Publishing 2014 ISBN 978 1 86072 610 1
National Guidance and Resources
DfE Competency Framework for Governance – January 2017
The right people around the table – A guide to recruiting and retaining school governors and trustees (National Governors’ Association 2019)
Governance in Multi-Academy Trusts (National College)
For help and advice on governor-related issues, please contact Vicki Barrière (01727 818170).